Return to FAQs
Before we can process your saliva sample, you must first register the unique barcode on the sample collection tube. This barcode is used to track your sample (anonymously) through our end-to-end process.
Please go to my.fitnessgenes.com and follow the instructions to register the barcode on your saliva collection tube.
We cannot process a sample if it hasn’t been registered.
1. Go to secure.fitnessgenes.com and register the unique barcode on the side of the saliva collection tube.
2. We recommend that you provide your sample first thing in the morning. Please do not eat, drink, smoke, or chew gum for at least 30 minutes before giving your saliva sample – this helps to avoid contamination. Your sample should be clear and have no colour.
3. Rub your tongue around the inside of your cheeks (this helps to dislodge more cheek cells, from which we extract the DNA).
4. Do not remove the plastic film from the funnel lid.
5. Spit into the funnel until the amount of liquid saliva (not including bubbles) reaches the fill line shown on the tube.
6. Hold the tube upright with one hand. Close the funnel lid with the other hand by firmly pushing the lid until you hear a loud click. The liquid in the lid will be released into the tube to mix with the saliva. Make sure the lid is closed tightly.
7. Hold the tube upright. Unscrew the funnel from the tube.
8. Use the small cap to seal the tube tightly and shake the capped tube for 5 seconds. Discard or recycle the plastic funnel.
9. Place the sample tube into the specimen bag provided. Then place the sample collection tube into the specimen bag provided. Place the specimen bag back into the original mailing box for return.
10. Use the sticky tape under the lid to seal the box.
Your sample should be returned to us using the original mailing box.
Customers within the UK can return the sample free of charge, using the Freepost label on the box. Simply place the sealed box in a post box and it will be sent to our laboratory. You will receive an email from us once your sample has reached us.
Rest of the world customers
If you live outside the UK, we recommend that you return your sample using your country's standard postal service. This will be significantly cheaper than using a courier (e.g. FedEx, UPS) and your sample will reach our lab in a similar amount of time.
In the unlikely event that your sample does not reach us, we will cancel that barcode and reissue a new kit.
Our return address is: FitnessGenes, Bicester Innovation Centre, Commerce House, Telford Road, Bicester, OX26 4LD, United Kingdom
IMPORTANT – If you need to complete a customs form, you may be asked to give a content description and a customs value. We recommend using the content description: “Exempt human specimen — saliva sample” and the customs value: “No commercial value".
If you are required to enter a value above zero, then please put down: “$1”.
“No commercial value” or “$1” is the value of the used sample collection kit, and not the price that you paid for the analysis and recommendations we provide. If you use another value (e.g. the retail price) on the form, the UK government will incorrectly levy an import tax, which unfortunately we will need to invoice you for before we can receive and analyze your sample.
In the UK the "Freepost FITNESSGENES" label is all that’s required to get your sample to us.
No – as long as it is returned within 5 years. The buffer solution you added to your saliva sample will preserve your DNA for up to 5 years.
We are not aware of any legal reasons that should prevent you from returning your sample to us, especially if we have been able to ship the sample collection kit to you.
Occasionally clients can experience an issue, sometimes with little or no explanation given to them by the postal worker that served them. Often, a different individual or Post Office will post the sample with no concerns.
It is therefore worth trying a different Post Office/individual in the first instance. If you find that you are still unable to return the sample to us, please contact us via email@example.com and we will be able to assist you.
If you need to complete a customs form, please ensure that you declare the value as 'no commercial value' to ensure that you are not charged any customs charges. If you are required to enter a value above zero, then please use $1 / £1 / €1 etc.
In the content description, please put: “Exempt human specimen — saliva sample”.
The buffer liquid that you added to your saliva sample will preserve your sample for up to 5 years, so there is no need to rush to return your sample to our lab.
We recommend that you post your sample using your country's standard postage service. This will be significantly cheaper than using a courier (e.g. FedEx, UPS) and your sample will reach our lab in a similar amount of time.
You will receive an email from us once we have received your kit.
Please declare the value as 'no commercial value' to ensure that you are not charged any customs charges. If you are required to enter a value above zero, then please use: $1 / £1 / €1 etc.
Yes. We accept DNA data files from more companies than anyone else, including:
If you have had your DNA analyzed by any of these companies previously, please purchase our DNA Upload service.
Yes. Collecting your DNA sample is safe, simple and non-invasive – it merely involves collecting about a tablespoonful of saliva in a tube. As long as you are sufficiently healthy to provide a saliva sample, you will be able to do the test.
Your DNA sequence is fixed throughout life, so your DNA results will not be affected by pregnancy or illness.
Create a guest FitnessGenes account to unlock your lifestyle-based traits for free, each with personalised insights and actions. No credit card details required.
DNA Analysis Kit
DNA Data Upload
Free Lifestyle Analysis
Terms & Conditions